There are reasons to stay alive. If you feel depressed or suicidal, please know that there are many, many, many reasons to stay alive.
Depression is a debilitating, devastating illness. Depression can overwhelm your mind with feelings of sadness and make you feel like there is no hope. Please understand that these feelings are symptoms of depression. There is always hope. Life is filled with hope. Life has many wonderful things in store for you!
Below are fifty reasons to stay alive. I could write more—much more—but, for the sake of time, let’s start with 50. As someone who has struggled with chronic depression, I can tell you that these things have happened for me and I believe they can happen for you.
After my list is a beautiful, short video. If you do nothing else, please take the time to watch the video.
50 Reasons to Stay Alive
Why should I go on living? Because I want to . . .
- experience healing.
- re-read my favorite books.
- see the leaves change color every autumn.
- hear new, beautiful music.
- laugh until it hurts (but in a good way).
- spend time with family and friends.
- love like I’ve never loved before.
- go on adventures.
- meet new people.
- see crescent moons, half moons, and mind-blowing super moons!
- make inside jokes.
- find the cool side of the pillow.
- be a part of something amazing.
- eat more pie (Amish-made pie is the best).
- fight my inner demons and become stronger.
- dream and work to make those dreams a reality.
- play with puppies.
- spend a lazy day on the beach or at a cabin.
- binge-watch an amazing show.
- hike and conquer a mountain or the Grand Canyon.
- eat more dessert!
- see more Christmas lights.
- travel the world.
- watch the sunrise and sunset.
- take a Sunday nap, or sleep in just a little bit longer.
- have hot, freshly-made apple cider.
- listen to the wind and the rain.
- find money in my pockets.
- sit by a warm fire.
- go to weddings, parties, and graduations.
- watch the rushing waters of a river.
- see more awesome movie trailers.
- make a positive impact in someone’s life.
- get a bonus paycheck.
- walk through a quiet forest.
- smell fresh-baked cookies (and then eat them, of course).
- watch it snow.
- make a difference in the world.
- discover new books.
- eat amazing food.
- listen to the rumble of thunder.
- go on walks.
- jump into pools.
- work on talents and hobbies.
- stare up at the stars.
- watch the Northern Lights.
- experience holidays to their fullest.
- hear the heartbeat of my unborn child.
- hold my child for the first time.
- be surprised by the goodness of life.
There are many, many more reasons to stay alive. Life has so much to offer you.